Who is winning the Internet security wars?

Good Side: 26.61% (818)

Bad Side: 45.32% (1 393)

Stalemate: 28.07% (863)

Total Votes: 3 074

Edwards:

I voted for the good side, but I must add
that its success is more in the long term
than otherwise. Let me tell you a story in
that context.

I'm not an expert in IT security, but I'm
very much interested in it. There was a time
I preached about the necessity of firewalls,
antivirus software, patching, etc. to some of
my workmates who owned unprotected computers
on the grounds that security software slowed
down their PCs and was ultimately helpless
against determined intruders.

Well, after some time one of them showed up
to work all miserable because his World of
Warcraft profile was totally ruined not long
after he downloaded an add-on from a WoW forum.
Interestingly, after this incident all of them
busily installed firewalls and antivirus software.

So, the conclusion is, in my opinion, that people
need to educate themselves on Internet security,
otherwise ultimately they'll learn the hard way.
In order for the bad guys to strike with minimal
force, Internet users need to arm themselves with
the right kind of knowledge.

No comments: